Saturday, August 26, 2006

We are in the third generation of the search engine marketing era!

Do you know? We are currently in the third generation of the search engine marketing era:

First generation: based on text on the page, including meta-tag and meta-description
Second generation: based on link analysis, e.g. reciprocal linkage
Third generation: vertical and personalize

What does the Third generation means?

Vertical search: It is a specialized search engine that mines data for one narrow niche of the market place. (it is more focus and even more efficient than PPC advertising) A good example would be http://www.kayak.com/ (A vertical search engine specifically for the travel/vacation industry)

Personalize: My Web in Google. Google reshapes your search results based on the followings:

- What you personally do or visit?
- What your friends do or visit?
- What people in a particular group, for example, live in the same country, enjoy the same sport do or visit?
- Content in your email.

Advantage of third generation:

- focus on key vertical for a specific industry
- have great content
- Especially great title and descriptions

Search marketing is going everywhere, anywhere you can type. In the future, maybe you can use it from your phone, PDA etc.

MSN is working very aggressively for search marketing. It is going after demographics, day parting (e.g. you only want clicks during the certain time of the day, only night or only day). When you pay for MSN AdCenter, they will give you the click in the population you want. (as accurately as the data users entered in their MSN passport account).

For the purpose of my company, at this point, I do not see the uses of the third generation search engine. First of all, our industry is very specific and we do not have a vertical search engine. For the personalize part, I think it is more applicable to B2C. Although I cannot use them for my company, I think the third generation search engine era is very powerful, gives online marketers lots of information and they will be able to target a very specified selected group of people!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, June:

Great article! I haven't seen search technology ranked in terms of generations before and I think it's a great idea. I wish I had seen this earlier, I could've referenced it in my blog entry on the Rise of Vertical Search engines; I'm planning a follow-up entry anyway.

I'm also a new blogger - a techie with a growing interest in Internet Marketing and SEO for small business. To my surprise, I enjoy writing my posts; marketing of the blog takes a lot of time and energy, though!

In your post, you say that vertical search doesn't seem to be useful for your company. I'm not sure what you guys do, but there's such a wide variety of vertical search engines now for all kinds of things, that I'm surprised and curious about that.

I have a collection of links to popular vertical search engines on my web site, and I'm planning to add more links this week. I would be interested to see if any of these match up with your company's domain, or else I can look for others that do - it'll help round out my list! :-)

Best of luck with your blog! If I can help in any way, please feel free to email me at: nitink@softwareabstractions.com .

June said...

Hi Nitnik, Thanks for your response and your information. I think it is very interesting when I first heard of the 3 generations of search engine marketing too and that's why I put them in my blog. Recently I have been to a Search Engine Expo in Toronto and one of the speaker there mentioned about these.

I enjoy writing my posts too and sharing my knowledge and findings. I believe all of us can benefit by exchanging ideas in discussion. This is one of the reason why I started this blog.

I have been managing all the e-marketing initiatives for the company I serve for a few years now. There are always new things coming up we need to keep up! I am currently reading the book Search Engine Marketing Inc. It is a very good book to tell you all about organic search and driving traffic to your website. The MSN representative I met at the Search Engine Conference recommends me to read this book. I have not finished yet, but so far so good. Maybe you want to check it out too!

Well... I do not think my industry will have a vertical search engine as the industry is regulated by the government and there are only a few players in the industry. It is a very good initiative to collect a list of vertical search engine! Good work Nitink! :)

Best of luck to your blog too! I am just taking a little break at work now and will read more about your blog after work! :)

By the way, just curious, how did you find my blog? Please kindly let me know! :)

Unknown said...

Hi there,
Its good to know that you are from Internet marketing world. I am new to this space but would like to build my career in it.Pl.s help me with your exp. what is the best way to go about it? do share some good resources which u have come across. n more about ur daily activities n plan.
i have found this blog while searching for vertical search engines on google.
wishes n regards
gaurav
gaurav9980@yahoo.com

June said...

Hi Gaurav,

Glad to hear from you. Can you tell me a little bit of your background so I can try to suggest something (or starting point) which might be appropriate for you. Depends on your experience, I can suggest some books for you to read too. I have read quite a few lately. Oh.. please also tell me what area you are interested in and I will try to give you some insight or my thoughts on that area of interest.

All the best,

Raju said...

That is a very interested article. Very useful to all those SEO companies.